This Strawberry Shortcake Cake offers a brand new twist to an outdated vintage. Vanilla cake layers, recent strawberries, and mascarpone cream!
How are you aware if you happen to’re allergic to one thing?
I think like I could be mildly allergic to strawberries, however no longer within the standard means. Now and again (however no longer at all times) after I consume some I am getting a bit of of a unusual feeling in my throat, roughly a scratchiness, or tightness, or one thing. But if I used to be making this Strawberry Shortcake Cake it was once other — I hadn’t eaten any of the strawberries but.
I used to be quartering about 4 cups of them for the filling and I began to search out it onerous to respire. Now not like name an ambulance onerous to respire, however I felt like my throat was once ultimate up a bit of, simply from the SMELL. Is that conceivable?
They have been loopy aromatic. Some borderline overripe and really potent. It took about an hour for the sensation to subside as soon as I used to be clear of them. Perhaps it’s all psychosomatic or perhaps I’m simply allergic to sturdy smells of any sort. *Shrug*. I’m nonetheless alive these days however let or not it’s recognized I might have risked my existence making this Strawberry Shortcake Cake for you!
What’s Strawberry Shortcake?
Historically, strawberry shortcake is a dessert consisting of a shortcrust biscuit that’s minimize in part and sandwiched with whipped cream and macerated strawberries.
My interpretation of the normal strawberry shortcake is composed of buttermilk vanilla cake layers, recent macerated strawberries, strawberry syrup, and mascarpone whipped cream. The latter which is in point of fact the famous person of the display right here.
How do you’re making Mascarpone Cream?
There are lots of permutations on easy methods to make this, however I’m going to let you know how I did it. Now not that that is the one or proper approach to do it, it’s simply what labored for me.
Mascarpone has an overly excessive fats content material and will cut up very simply if overwhipped. It’s no longer the very best to paintings with, but it surely’s SO scrumptious, so I’m going to let you know my way for maintaining it easy and silky.
- Relax your mixer bowl and whisk till chilly — a couple of hours within the refrigerator or 15mins within the freezer will do.
- Whip your (chilly) heavy cream till nonetheless peaks shape. Watch out to not overwhip or it is going to flip to butter (for actual).
- Switch whipped cream to a separate bowl — no want to blank the mixer bowl or whisk.
- Position the chilled (however quite softened) mascarpone within the mixer bowl and beat with a paddle till easy. Upload sugar and beat till easy.
- Fold mascarpone into whipped cream.
- Switch again into mixer bowl and whip till stiff. Watch out to not overwhip!
It’s a couple of additional steps, however I believe it is helping be certain that a easy frosting. My mascarpone was once in reality too chilly nonetheless and I didn’t easy it ahead of including the sugar, so it had some small clumps of cheese that wouldn’t easy out. Relatively softened mascarpone would paintings absolute best. Don’t use room temperature despite the fact that because it’s less difficult to separate.
I additionally took a couple of additional steps when assembling this cake. Not obligatory, however general I believe it made for a cleaner completed glance so I’m recommending you do it this manner too. Mainly I adorned every layer one at a time, then chilled them, then stacked. This is helping the mascarpone cream set a bit of and offers extra construction to the cake.
- Position every layer of cake on a cake board or an identical — one thing you’ll be able to simply transfer them off of after to stack.
- Drain strawberries, however reserve the syrup (not obligatory).
- Drizzle 2-3 Tbsp of strawberry syrup on every cake layer (not obligatory). I did this with my backside layer however forgot to do it with the remaining (oops), do just all of them on the identical time so that you don’t put out of your mind like me!
- Most sensible every cake layer with 1/3 of the mascarpone cream. Unfold more or less with the again of a giant spoon.
- Moderately spoon 1 1/2 cups of strawberries frivolously onto two of the layers. The 3rd layer (the highest) is strawberry-free. The recipe makes sufficient strawberries to hide all 3 layers (relatively than the ornamental layer I’ve on most sensible). You’ll do it both means.
- Relax every cake layer for 15-30 minutes.
- Moderately take away muffins from cake forums and stack them onto every different.
- Refrigerate till able to serve.
- Serve inside of an afternoon or two. Should be refrigerated.
Can I make this cake prematurely?
Now not in point of fact. The mascarpone cream does no longer stay neatly particularly as soon as stacked with the berries. The juices from the ones will begin to wreck the cream down a bit of. It’s absolute best to serve it identical day if conceivable.
You’ll make the cake layers prematurely despite the fact that. As soon as cooled, wrap them in plastic and freeze till able to make use of.
This cake is in point of fact really easy to make, however if you happen to’d love to make it even more uncomplicated you’ll be able to use my favorite changed field combine recipe for the cake layers as an alternative!
If you happen to’re in search of a gentle, summer season dessert to make the easiest use of the ones recent berries, this Strawberry Shortcake Cake is looking your title!
Searching for extra berry muffins?
Often Requested Questions
How can I convert this recipe?
- The recipe as-is may even paintings in two 8″ pans so long as they’re 3″ tall, or two 9″ pans. Baking time might want to be adjusted.
- For a 3 layer 6″ cake, trade the Servings to twelve and use the ones quantities. Or, in case your pans are 3″ tall you’ll be able to go away the recipe as is. The layers shall be thicker so baking time will want to be adjusted.
- To make cupcakes, all you want to do is cut back the baking time — get started checking at 15mins or so. The recipe will make a minimum of 24 cupcakes relying on dimension.
- For different conversions move here.
- The cooled cake layers will also be baked forward of time, double wrapped in plastic wrap, and frozen for as much as 3 months. Take out 2-3 hours ahead of meeting.
- The mascarponse cream is not going to stay. It must be made proper ahead of striking the cake toegether.
- The completed cake must be refrigerated and served inside of 1 to two days.
Pointers for making this Strawberry Shortcake Cake
- To make it even more uncomplicated, you’ll be able to use my favorite changed field combine recipe for the cake layers as an alternative.
- For absolute best effects, make certain your cream, whisk, and bowl are chilled. This offers the whipped cream probably the most quantity.
- I discovered it absolute best to embellish every layer one at a time, kick back, then stack.
- I used a big spoon to unfold the mascarpone cream on every layer. I discovered this offers the most productive rustic glance.
- You’ll exchange any berry you favor, or take a look at it with a blueberry sauce.
- This cake is not going to stay lengthy and does no longer freeze neatly. Preferably serve identical day, however will also be refrigerated for 1-2 days.
- Learn to stay your muffins wet the usage of Easy Syrup.
- To assist be certain that your cake layers bake up great and flat, take a look at my Flat Most sensible Truffles put up!
Strawberry Shortcake Cake with Mascarpone Cream
This Strawberry Shortcake Cake offers a brand new twist to an outdated vintage. Vanilla cake layers, recent strawberries, and mascarpone whipped cream!
Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 3 8″ cake rounds and line with parchment.
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt till neatly blended. Put aside.
The use of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on med-high till light and fluffy (approx 3mins).
Scale back pace and upload eggs separately totally incorporating after every addition. Upload vanilla.
Trade including flour combination with buttermilk, starting and finishing with flour (3 additions of flour and a pair of of milk). Absolutely incorporating after every addition.
Unfold batter frivolously between the ready pans and easy the tops.
Bake for roughly 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out most commonly blank.
Position muffins on cord rack to chill for 10mins then end up onto cord rack to chill utterly.
Position quartered strawberries and sugar right into a medium bowl. Stir to mix. Position in refrigerator and let take a seat for 15mins (as much as in a single day).
Drain strawberries ahead of the usage of in cake. Reserve syrup to drizzle on cake layers all the way through meeting if desired.
Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
Position mixer bowl and whisk into the refrigerator or freezer to cool.
Pour chilly cream into the bowl and whip on excessive till stiff peaks shape. Put aside.
In a separate bowl, beat mascarpone till easy. Upload sugar and beat till blended*
Mix whipped cream and mascarpone combination till easy and stiff.*
Divide mascarpone cream into 3 equivalent parts.
Position one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Drizzle with reserved strawberry syrup if desired.
Kind of unfold 1/3 of the mascarpone cream excessive of the layer. I used the again of a giant spoon to do that.
Position 1 1/2 cups of quartered strawberries on most sensible. Repeat with last layers leaving the highest layer simply with the mascarpone cream.**
Refrigerate till serving. Serve identical day.
* Watch out to not over beat because the mascarpone will curdle.
** I discovered it highest to do every person layer one at a time, kick back them serious about 15mins, then stack. This quantity of strawberries is sufficient to quilt all 3 layers. If you would like go away the highest layer like I did, you’ll want 3 cups of quartered berries overall.
Energy: 832kcalCarbohydrates: 84gProtein: 7gFats: 53gSaturated Fats: 32gLdl cholesterol: 227mgSodium: 179mgPotassium: 195mgSugar: 65gDiet A: 1705IUDiet C: 5.9mgCalcium: 77mgIron: 1.7mg
The dietary knowledge and metric conversions are calculated mechanically. I can’t ensure the accuracy of this information. If this necessary to you, please check together with your favorite vitamin calculator and/or metric conversion device.
At the start printed June 2019