Hazelnut Nutcracker Cake – a brown sugar nutmeg cake with hazelnut praline buttercream and beautiful swag buttercream piping. A brand new cake recipe by way of our contributor, Tessa Huff.
Christmas at all times brings emotions of nostalgia and child-like surprise. And as I revel within the reminiscences of my adolescence across the vacations, it’s at all times visions of sugarplums, snowflakes, and waltzing flora that dance out and in of my thoughts. Whether or not within the ensemble or only a spectator, The Nutcracker has at all times been part of my existence this time of yr.
This cake can pay tribute to my love for The Nutcracker. Whilst plums aren’t in season (the obvious taste for a Nutcracker-themed cake), roasted hazelnuts are greater than welcome this time of yr. Paired with heat brown sugar, cinnamon, and contemporary nutmeg (you spot the place we’re going with this, appropriate?), this Hazelnut Nutcracker cake is delicately spiced and nutty in all of the appropriate techniques.
The candied hazelnut brittle is critically addictive by itself, but if floor down right into a praline powder, it provides lots of taste and texture to silky Swiss meringue buttercream. The remainder buttercream is tinted a sugared plum red and piped onto the edges of a cake to imitate the ruffles of a tutu.
Hazelnut Nutcracker Cake
Hazelnut Nutcracker Cake – a brown sugar nutmeg cake with hazelnut praline buttercream and beautiful swag buttercream piping.
- Yield: One 8” Spherical Cake (3 layers) 1x
- Class: Dessert
- Delicacies: Cake
For the Brown Sugar Nutmeg Cake:
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 4 huge eggs
- 1 huge egg yolk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 ⅓ cup entire milk
For the Hazelnut Praline:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- pinch of cream of tartar
- ¾ cup toasted hazelnuts, kind of chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
For the Hazelnut Buttercream:
- 1 cup praline powder
- 6 huge egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Make the Brown Sugar Nutmeg Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 8-inch cake pans and put aside.
- In a blending bowl, whisk in combination the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Put aside.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, position the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Combine on medium till gentle and fluffy, 2 to three mins. Flip the mixer to medium-low and upload the vanilla. Upload within the eggs and egg yolk, separately, and blend till included. Upload the oil and blend till blended (if the batter breaks, upload about ½ cup of the flour combination and blend till clean).
- Forestall the mixer and scrape down the bowl. Upload the flour combination in two batches, alternating with the milk – beginning and finishing with the flour combination. Combine on medium for not more than 30 seconds, or till clean.
- Flippantly divide the batter between the ready pans. Bake for twenty-four to 26 mins or till a toothpick inserted into the middle of the desserts comes out blank. Cool on a twine rack for 10 to twenty mins earlier than taking away the desserts from their pans. Permit desserts to fully cool earlier than filling and frosting.
Make the Hazelnut Praline:
- Position the sugar, water, and cream of tartar in a saucepan. Warmth over prime and convey to a boil. Proceed to cook dinner the sugar combination till it turns a medium amber shade (like making caramel sauce), and right away take away from the warmth.
- Instantly stir within the hazelnuts, cinnamon, and salt. Temporarily and in moderation (it’s going to be very popular!) unfold the combination onto a silicone baking mat or piece of parchment paper. Permit to fully cool.
- As soon as cool, ruin the brittle into items in order that they are compatible in a meals processor. With a meals processor, grind the brittle right into a powder.
Make the Hazelnut Buttercream:
- Position the egg whites and sugar within the bowl of an electrical mixer. Gently whisk till blended.
- Position blending bowl over a pan of simmering water to create a double-boiler. Whisking repeatedly, warmth the egg combination till it registers 160°F on a candy thermometer. Moderately switch the bowl again to the stand mixer.
- The use of the whisk attachment, whip the egg combination on prime for 8 to ten mins till stiff, shiny peaks and the outdoor of the blending bowl returns to room temperature.
- Transfer to the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low, slowly upload the butter (a pair tablespoons at a time) and blend till included.
- Upload vanilla. Whip on medium till silky clean, about 3 to five mins.
- Take away 2 ½ cups of buttercream to combine with the praline powder. Reserve the remainder buttercream to frost the cake.
Collect the Cake:
- Position one layer of cake on a cake board or serving dish. Unfold on about 1 cup of the hazelnut praline buttercream with an offset spatula till clean. Best the following layer of cake and repeat. Position the overall layer of cake and height and crumb coat the cake in a skinny layer of the remainder hazelnut praline buttercream. Relax the cake within the fridge for quarter-hour.
- Tint the remainder buttercream your shade of selection (if desired). Position a big dollop of buttercream at the height of the chilled cake. Unfold out the buttercream with an offset spatula till clean. For the edges of the cake, use an offset spatula to unfold a little bit of buttercream across the backside edges (about 1-inch from the ground).
- To brighten, ranking the cake with the threshold of an icing smoother or the aspect of a spatula to make vertical strains each and every 2 to 3-inched across the cake. Fill a piping bag fitted with a medium celebrity tip (like Wilton 1B) with buttercream. Beginning on the backside of the cake, pipe huge swags across the cake. The tops of the swags will have to get started and finish on the vertical marks scored at the cake. Proceed up the edges of the cake, piping the swages round, till the cake is roofed.
- Best with Nutcracker paper toppers, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Key phrases: hazelnut, praline, cake
MORE HOLIDAY CAKES TO MAKE: