1/2 cup blanched almonds
3/4 cup organic sugar
1 regular size bittersweet organic chocolate bar
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp organic unsalted butter
4 oz organic sour cream
5 egg whites for ‘fluff’ + 2 egg yolks for chocolate batter mix
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
Pinch of sea salt
Equipment: 1 9 inch springform pan
- In a food processor, combine your blanched almonds with 1/4 cup sugar. Process until finely ground.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Coat your springform pan lightly with butter and dust with cocoa powder, tap pan, and set aside.
- Melt your chocolate and butter in a double boiler, stirring until smooth.
- In the bowl of mixer place 5 egg whites, place 2 of the egg yolks in another large bowl, and set the mixing bowl aside for now.
- In the large bowl, mix 2 egg yolks, chocolate, extracts, sour cream, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 2 tbsp of cocoa. Stir until blended well.
- Now returning to your mixing bowl, beat your egg whites on high speed, adding your pinch of salt. Beat until frothy.
- Add your last 1/4 cup of sugar, continue beating until eggs look like clouds.
- Slowly and gently add your whipped egg whites to your chocolate mixture, fold in until well blended – very softly.
- Pour into your springform. And bake for 30 minutes.
- When the cake comes out, it is first raised; it’s normal for the cake to fall. Once it has failed and is cooled a bit, you can serve.